Saturday, April 14, 2007

Online Learning Website(Ch7)


http://www.cnn.com/

The global Cable News Network is definitely one of the most popular news websites in the world. Ther are rich databases containing various catagories of news, such as World, U.S. Weather, Business, Sports, Analysis, Politics, Law, and so on in five languages. Users can just click links, and then further attain much information. For example, if we choose “World” to get more, we quickly see six columns to show other news about other places, like Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East, Americas, and U.S. Further we are allowed to depend on our interests to see these related articles, like Business, Technology, Travel, and etc.

In addition to these articles, this website not only offers advances learning inspiring reader to forward think, and then rise the dicussion about certain issue, but also provides readers with side-resources to do the research comprehasively, like Time Asia.

Especially mentioned are that in this website there are many useful tools only on CNN. One of most famous program is “CNN Pipeline” which is a video news service providing both live and on-demand video to subscribers' computers via Internet connections.

Back to my experience of learning language from CNN.com. I am really glad to commend this website to every learners. Fistly, CNN offers balenced platform to present news from all over the world, and readers must know great events in fair view rather than in a biased view. Secondly, readers are allowed to get relevanted information to discuss, so that it come to public opinions to put pressure under the work of goverments. In this process, readers are trained for gurther being active to use language to do something meaningful. Finally, with advanced technology of CNN.com, we are gradually used to manipulate media to learn language lively and broadly.

5 comments:

vercy said...

It’s really a good example for the use of multi media in learning. Besides the words and pictures on the webpage, I believe that viewers actually are expecting some kind of “moving images,” like video, when viewing. It’s like TV news and online news get the advantages form each other. TV news will put words beside the screen when the anchor is reporting, while the online news will use multi media to give people a sense of “watching TV” since TV is still the main source of news for people. It’s attractive for learners to see this kind of video images. It’s more convenient and also provides another way of learning.

Cherrie said...

Just like you, I think the most attractive part of this website is that we can see the video clips of any kind of news. Since the clips do not have subtitles, I think watching news in this way can also help me upgrade my English listening ability. Oh, the most importantly, most of them are free! This is really beneficial to me.

Abby said...

The images and sounds usually attract people more than the words. As for me, my pleasure in learning often from these video clips. I can train my listening ability as well as obtain various knowledge from exploring wide net. This function truly benefits me a lot

xinru said...

Even though we did the same website, I think we came up with different evaluation of it. I think I put great emphasis on how this website facilitates learners’ learning process, and you give us a new insight of services CNN provides. I am very impressive on your clear explanation about the usage and function, and that is what I lack in my evaluation.

Christina said...

I have never visited the website of CNN. I have only watched the CNN news on TV. And there are a lot of time that I can not fully understand the news because my listening skill and my vocabulary is not enough. The site you introduced can be really useful to me because I got to see the text form of the news. In that way I can scan some of the news on the website first then listen to news on TV. I think I can also expend my vocabulary, too.